Today, I woke up totally disappointed, to cold and fog, but it later cleared up and the sun came out, so of course I went for a run. Then once I got home, I started to cook up a storm. The first thing I baked was granola from scratch. (I will write a granola post tomorrow.) The second thing I made was an amazing vegan/vegetarian soup that even my boyfriend, the meat eater, gobbled up.
As you may know, soups are one of my favorite things to cook and eat. Soups can be so hearty and satisfying. They can warm you up on a cold winter day. They can cure the common cold.
This soup recipe is called Farro Soup, from my favorite cook book, Super Natural Every Day, by Heidi Swanson. If you don’t already have this cook book, you should get it asap. It is a must have… a kitchen essential.
Of course I put my own little twist on the recipe, so it is not exactly the same as the one from the cook book.
- olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato peeled, diced
- 3 large carrots peeled, diced (This is not part of the original recipe. I added these. I love carrots in soup.)
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Indian curry powder
- 1 teaspoon¬†turmeric powder¬†(This is not part of the original recipe.)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder¬†(This is not part of the original recipe.)
- a handful or semi-pearled farro
- A little more than 1 cup of black lentils
- 6-7 cups of water
- 2 cubes of vegan¬†vegetable bouillon
- greek yogurt
- lemon juice
- lemon zest
- Add onions, sweet potatoes, carrots to a large soup pot, with heated olive oil.
- When veggies are soft and golden add curry powder, turmeric, cumin, salt.
- Add 6-7 cups of water and 2 cubes of vegan vegetable bouillon.
- Add farro and lentils.
- Bring broth to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Taste and season with more salt if needed. Taste and make sure farro and lentils are fully cooked.
- In a side bowl, add yogurt, squeeze lemon, and stir.
- Serve soup, top with lemon yogurt and sprinkle lemon zest.
This soup is super quick and really simple to make. It is also really hearty, super satisfying, extremely healthy, and very delicious. It is vegetarian, but if you are vegan omit the yogurt step.
¬© 2013 sweatdaily