I know… Thanksgiving was soo last week.
But I can’t help it, I have to share with you, this amazing pumpkin pie I made, ate, and now keep wishing I still had some left.
It is funny, how the mind works… When I was thinking about what I was going to prepare for my portion of my family’s thanksgiving dinner, I kept thinking about the Oprah show.
Back in the day, I remember watching Oprah, and this amazing pie was made on her show. So I went to her website and with a simple search of the word pumpkin, there it was… I was so thankful the recipe was still there on her site.
PUMPKIN CHIFFON PIE
click here for recipe found on Oprah’s site.
INGREDIENTS – exactly the same from original recipe on Oprah’s site, except for those in bold text.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. giner
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (I used organic, or better yet make your own pumpkin puree with a real pumpkin.)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust ( I did not store buy my crust, I made mine from scratch. I will teach you how below.)
- Whipped cream for garnish
Now this is how we do it…
Part 1 – Pumpkin
- In a pan, over the stove, combine gelatin, sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg.
- Then stir in egg yolks, milk, pumpkin.
- Cook over heat, until bubbles and thickens.
- Remove from heat, chill in fridge until it is partially set, no less than 1 hour.
- Remove chilled pumpkin mixture and give it a stir.
Part 2 –¬†Whipped Cream
- Pour heavy cream into a bowl.
- Use an electrical better and whip it until whipped cream forms.
Part 3 –¬†Pumpkin Filling
- Use a different bowl and beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Combine both fresh whipped cream and egg whites and sugar with pumpkin.
- Fold ingredients together until totally combined.
- Pumpkin filling should be light and fluffy.
- Set aside.
Part 4 – Crust
In the recipe found on Oprah’s site, they used a store bought crust. I made my own. This is what I did…
- Take a box of¬†graham crackers, remove two packs from the box.
- Crush and crumble graham crackers.
- Melt one stick of butter in the microwave, or over the stove. Whichever method you prefer. I quickly melted my butter in the microwave.
- Add graham cracker crumbs to a pie pan.
- Add melted butter to the¬†graham cracker crumbs in the pie pan.
- Use your hands to mold the graham cracker and butter combo in shape of the pie pan. Making sure the bottom and walls of the pan are completely covered. Make your crust as thick as you want by adding more crushed up graham crackers.¬†
Part 5 – The Pie
- Pour pumpkin filling mixer into pie crust.
- Chill for at least one hour.
- Top the pie off with extra whipped cream when serving. TIP: If you put the whipped cream on to soon and it ends up sitting out the whipped cream may melt. So I always ¬†just put the whipped cream on each slice when serving.
I hope you choose to make this pie. Enjoy it during your next holiday party!
Questions for You…
- What is your favorite holiday food?
- Is it pumpkin pie?
¬© 2012 sweatdaily