Everyone who lifts, knows protein is the best thing for your muscles to repair and grow. ¬†This is true, so I always try to have a protein shake with in 30 minutes after my workout. However, July is here, which means hot and steamy, air smothering days. ¬†And although, I have found a new passion for weight lifting, my love is for running, that is where my heart is and always will be.
Week 1 of Marathon training is over. I am officially in marathon training mode. And training in this hot July weather, has made me craving something a little more refreshing then my traditional protein shake. Protein shakes are great ways to refuel, but after a run outside in the heat, my body needs hydration.
Well after flipping through the pages of my favorite cook book, Super Natural Every Day, I found the perfect drink to hydrate me post run.
- 1 cucumber
- A couple cucumber peels
- 1/2 cup of water
- 3 cups of ice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lime juiced
- mint leaves or you can garnish with a cucumber slice or lime wedge.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender until slushy like consistency.
- Pour into class and Enjoy!
- Garnish with mint, cucumber slice, or lime wedge. (Your choice)
- Store in a pitcher in the refrigerator for up to a day or freeze as popsicles.
Cucumber is a Super food. It is a good source of silica, which helps promote joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. It is also rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. Cucumbers are also 95% water, but always remember to chose ones that are organic because pesticides can be hard to remove from skins.
*This would also be a wonderful drink after Bikram Yoga!
Questions for You…
- What is your favorite post workout drink?
- How do you hydrate and prepare for the heat?
- Do you like cucumber flavored drinks?
¬© 2013 sweatdaily