ÔĽŅAs a child, I hated cow’s milk. I gave up the stuff at a very young age. However, I remember on occasion my sisters and I would squeeze strawberry syrup into our milk glasses, to mask the flavor. As we stirred… it would mix up into a light pink creamy sweet drink.
Well, now as an adult I know better, that the strawberry syrup I used as a child is artificial and full of sugar. (You won’t see this mom touching that stuff.) But guess what? I have come across a recipe for a healthier alternative – Strawberry Almond Milk. Everything about this is heaven – the texture, the color, the flavor!
Warning: Once you make your own homemade nut milks, you won’t go back to the store bought kind.
Here’s what you are going to need!
- 1 Bowl (to soak almonds in… then used again later to use to strain blended almonds.)
- High speed blender (Vitamix)
- Cheese cloth
- Pitcher or mason jar (to store nut milk.)
Let’s talk Strawberries! There is nothing better than fresh picked strawberries from the garden. So look for organic local strawberries. I got these vibrant red ones from my local farmer’s market.
- 1 cup Raw organic almonds
- Filtered water
- 1 teaspoon or vanilla
- 10-14 organic strawberries (depends on size)
- 2 dates (no pits)
- Soak 1 cup of raw organic almonds (in the refrigerator) overnight in a bowl of filtered water.
- Strain soaked almonds and rinse.
- Place the soaked almonds in a blender with 3-4 cups of filtered water. Blend.
- Strain freshly made Almond milk (the stuff in your blender) through a cheese cloth, over a bowl.
- Give blender a quick rinse. Then pour freshly strained Almond milk back to your blender.
- Add one teaspoon of vanilla to blender.
- Add 2 dates (no pits) to blender.
- Add 10 – 14 fresh organic strawberries. Amount depends on size of strawberries and your taste buds preference.
- Blend all ingredients together on high or on liquid setting.
- Strain strawberry Almond milk through cheese cloth one last time, this way it is very smooth. Side note: you have a Vitamix or a very high quality blender you may not need to do this step.
Store strawberry Almond milk in a mason jar or pitcher in refrigerator. This will make about 3 cups of milk, and will last 5 days in the refrigerator, however, its so delicious I’m sure you will drink it up before that.
You can also use this milk in chia seed putting and smoothies.
This strawberry Almond milk is very creamy in texture, pink in color, and tastes delicious. Use your taste buds and customize the final product… Do you need more dates to make it sweeter? Do you need more strawberries. It takes a little time at first to get the hang of making your own nut milks homemade and fresh. However, once you do, you won’t got to bed until you place a bowl of soaking nuts in your refrigerator.
What’s your favorite nut milk?