It is starting to warm up a bit here in the DC area, and this recipe is light and refreshing on a warm summer day.
I actually came up with it, because I had some super ripe mangos and over ripe avocados on hand, that had to be used.
- 2 ripe mangos
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2-3 cucumbers (depends on size)
- handful of parsley or cilantro whichever you have on hand.
- 1 small red onion
Chop everything small and mix in large bowl.
- 1/4 a cup of rice vinegar
- 1/4 a cup of white wine vinegar
- 1/4 a cup of olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
Pour everything in a bowl and whisk together or place everything in jar and shake. Once mixed pour on salad and mix everything.
TROPICAL SALAD STUFFED AVOCADO
Now it’s time to assemble your avocado and stuff it with the tropical salad.
Cut avocado in half, remove put, place a couple of spoonfuls of tropical salad in the hole where the pit was and on the top of the avocado. Sprinkle sea salt and red pepper flakes.
The Wild West Rice salad is found in the cookbook Run Fast Eat Slow. To be completely honest, I have never used a cook book so much. I am quickly making my way through trying most recipes from Run Fast Eat Slow.
Maybe it’s because there is so much warmth in the air, maybe it’s because all of my favorite veggies are now in season. But, I have been craving salads lately. And it is so much fun trying different types of salads. The combination of fruits, veggies, grains, and proteins are endless.
I also have been whipping up my own salad dressings. Store bought dressings are not worth the money. In most cases they are packed full of sugar. It’s so much easier and less expensive to make your own.
So here we go… Wild West Rice Salad.
Facts: The best part about this Salad is that it is a great recovery meal for vegans. Because of the combination of the wild rice and edamame, this Salad, has all nine essential amino acids.
- 1 cup wild rice
- double batch of Creamy Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 6 or more radishes, diced
- 3 cups of Kale or other greens
- 3 carrots, grated
- 6 scallions, skice
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame, cooked
- Freshly ground pepper
- (I also included tomatoes, but feel free to add anything you would like, if you are not vegan, add a high quality goat cheese for extra protein.)
- Cook rice, add cooked rice to salad bowl, mix with half of dressing and let cool.
- Once rice is cool, add other veggies.
- Add more dressing, toss and combine.
- Top with goat cheese (if you aren’t vegan) and salt and pepper to taste.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 shallot minced, or garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake. Dressing lasts for 1 week in fridge.
I know I will be enjoying this Salad for a couple of days! Hope you give it a try.